Twenty fourteen ended about a month ago which has given us a moment to reflect on both the good and bad events here at Payton this past year. Below we have listed some of the top and worst events at Payton in no particular order.
1. Open House
Although this is a yearly event here at Payton, it is probably one of the most exciting ones. Especially since Payton was ranked the #1 school in Illinois this year, many parents and students were very eager to see Payton from the inside.
2. CPS Closing school for extreme weather
Oh the weather outside IS frightening. In fact, it was so frightening that CPS decided the conditions were not suitable for students.
3. Payton family expanding with new teachers and staff
2014 was a year that brought in some new faces to our school, we are so happy to have added some new Grizzlies to our staff
4. Clark/Division red line station is remodeled and relocated
Although it isn’t exactly on Clark/Division anymore, Payton’s nearest train stop has been given a much needed makeover. It is currently still undergoing some touch ups, a nice paint job on the platform.
5. Beginning construction of the Payton Annex
11 classrooms, a new gym, and a new blackbox theater? We can’t wait!
6. The Email Chain
It was an email that fueled a war throughout Payton students and teachers. Mr. Belcaster challenged Mr. Devine in his video response whcih was sparked by our original article – “The Email That Changed Payton” Read the article here. Watch Mr. Belcaster’s response here and Mr. Devine’s response to Mr. Belcaster here
7. Payton wins it’s second blue ribbon award
Payton was one of only three Illinois schools to recieve the coveted Blue Ribbon School award in 2014. Thanks to all the students, teachers, and staff putting in hard work every day to make Payton one of the best school environments in the nation. Read more about our achievement here
8. Payton’s Newspaper on the rise
2014 marked Payton Pawprint hisotry, with over 2,000 views on a single article. Let’s beat that in 2015!
9. Starbucks opening even closer to Payton
Now you can fuel your coffee addiction even faster than before. The new Starbucks is located on Wells and Scott, a 4 minute walk from Payton.
10. Hashbrowns opening as another food option
If you haven’t noticed, there is an all new resturaunt on Wells and Division, just a block away from the school. It is called Hashbrowns, and it is a delicious brunch option. Check it out after a chill seminar day.
11. Free lunch for everyone
No more lunch money needed! CPS now offers free lunch to all students reguardless of income.
1. Teachers and staff leaving Payton
It can’t all be good news, right? Some of our favorite teachers and staff left Payton in 2014, but they are never forgotten.
2. The class of 2014 failed to have a successful senior prank
Senior pranks? Where they at doe? Who knows. Last years seniors were too busy applying to colleges and being productive students to busy themselves with a silly school prank.
3. Plans to start on Payton’s Annex are delayed and begin later than expected
We were waiting…..and waiting…..and…..waiting.
4. Making up 4 snow days
It was too good to be true.
5. Teachers losing parking options
Parking has become a hot commodity since the parking lot has become the foundation for Payton’s annex.
6. Students losing parking options
As for student parking, it is basically nonexistent. Better off taking the CTA!
7. Elimination of some classes
R.I.P AP Art History and Global Issues.
8. Class of 2014 leaving our school
Congratulations! But we’ll miss you in 2015
9. No shave november
Facial hair isn’t for everybody..
10. Teachers participating in beard contest
So much facial hair in one school
11. Students are no longer able to fundraise by selling food
Sadly, we can no lomger sell candy, churros, or cookies at lunch.